E Cigarette Explodes in Bar [VIDEO]
Subscribe to 96.3 The Blaze on
Before you start throwing your new E-Cig out for fear of it exploding in your hand, face or much less anywhere around you, I will let you know that this is about as likely to happen as your laptop exploding while you use it.
In this instance a bartender had their E-Cig plugged in behind the bar charging when it burst into flames. How did this happen? It was discovered that the charger being used to power up the E-Cig was not intended for that use. I have learned from experience to match specific chargers with electronics after I accidentally blew up some computer networking equipment (Ooops!). Luckily my “blow up” consisted of a small pop sound and a smokey room. The thing that causes these more destructive explosions is the Lithium Ion (Li Ion) battery. You have these in your laptops, cell phones, and E-Cigs.
Without throwing a handful of science terms at you, the Li Ion battery has a membrane that separates positive from negative. When positive and negative connect, you have a current run (think about what happens when you lick a 9 volt: you get shocked). When this happens internally within the Li Ion battery, you get an explosion.
Here are some tips to prevent it:
- Do not get the battery wet
- Do not mix and match chargers
- Do not try to modify your battery
- Keep Battery away from heat sources (don’t leave your electronics next to a heater or in direct sunlight)
- Discard and replace damaged batteries
These might seem like no brainers, but as we’ve seen, crap happens…