UPDATE- Cooking Mishap Caused Sunday Evening Fire in Three Story Apartment Building [AUDIO]
A kitchen fire caused over $20,000 in damage Sunday evening in an apartment on West Front Street.
Missoula City Fire Assistant Chief Jeff Brandt revealed on Monday, that the cause of the fire was overcooked fish.
“Our investigation bureau came up with patterns inside the house that it was a cooking fire,” Brandt said. “The occupant was cooking some fish on top; of the stove, and the oil caught fire, and from there spread into the cabinets, up the wall and into the ceiling.The occupant came into the kitchen to find the fire already out of control.”
Damage to the apartment is estimated to be more than $20,000. Brandt said the occupants escaped safely, and have a safe place to live.
“Her mom lives locally and was able to go and live there,” Brandt said.
Assistant Fire Chief Jeff Brandt