Red Hot Chili Peppers Releasing EP, Record Store Day Goodies — Angel’s Rock Report
Red Hot Chili Peppers will mark their induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame by releasing a digital EP of covers called We Salute You on May 1st. Five of the six tracks have never been released digitally. All of the artists the Peppers cover on the EP are also in the Rock Hall:
- Their cover of Dion and the Belmonts' "A Teenager in Love" was released on an international maxi-single.
- The Peppers' take on The Ramones' "Havana Affair" was released as a seven-inch single and featured on the compilation We're a Happy Family: A Tribute to The Ramones.
- Their version of Iggy and the Stooges' "Search and Destroy" has appeared only on a now out-of-print maxi-CD.
- The Chilis recorded a live version of Neil Young's "Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere" during their recent tour.
- They first played The Beach Boys' "I Get Around" during Brian Wilson's 2005 MusiCares tribute.
- Their live rendition of David Bowie's "Suffragette City" was previously available only as a B-side to the band's single "Aeroplane."
The Peppers have also added nine more dates to their North American tour, starting October 27th in Kansas City, Missouri and wrapping up November 26th in Winnipeg, Manitoba.
The fifth annual Record Store Day takes place Saturday at independent record stores around the country. Retailers will be offering up exclusive vinyl albums and singles as well as having in-store signings and performances. Here's a sample of what you'll be able to buy and see.
311 - 311 - 12" vinyl of four remixes
- Arcade Fire - "Sprawl II" - 12" vinyl single
- The Black Keys - El Camino - 12" vinyl album with a 7" single featuring previously unreleased live tracks
- The Clash - "London Calling" - 7" vinyl single
- The Cult - "For The Animals" - 7" vinyl single
- Coldplay - "Up With The Birds"/"UFO" - 7" vinyl single
- Disturbed - The Collection - 12" vinyl box set
- The Flaming Lips - The Flaming Lips and Heady Fwends - 12" vinyl album (includes guest spots by Bon Iver, Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros, Jim James of My Morning Jacket and Chris Martin of Coldplay)
- Foster The People - "Broken Jaw"/"Ruby" - 7" vinyl single
- Fun. - "The Ghost That You Are To Me" - 10" picture disc
- Garbage - "Blood For Poppies" - 7" vinyl single
- Mastodon/The Flaming Lips - "A Spoonful Weighs A Ton" - 7" vinyl single
- Mastodon/Feist - 7" vinyl single
- Metallica - Beyond Magnetic EP - 12" silver vinyl
- The Mynah Byrds (Neil Young's band with Rick James) - "It's My Time"/"Go On And Cry" - 7" vinyl single
- Ozzy Osbourne - "Believer" - 7" black and white polka dot vinyl
- Ozzy Osbourne - Live - double 12" vinyl
- Rainbow - Long Live Rock and Roll 12" picture disc
- Red Hot Chili Peppers - Stadium Arcadium - 12" vinyl box set
- Bruce Springsteen - "Rocky Ground" - 7" vinyl single
- Switchfoot - Vice Re-Verses - CD
- Pete Townshend - Quadrophenia Demos Part 2 - 10" vinyl
- Eddie Vedder - "Love Boat Captain"/"Wishlist" - 7" vinyl single
- The White Stripes - "Hand Springs"/"Red Death at 6:14" - 7" vinyl single