Melvins Reveal New Album ‘Basses Loaded’ With Special Guest Krist Novoselic + More
The Melvins are one of the quirkiest groups around and are predictably unpredictable! Always keeping fans on their toes with lineup changes and varying degrees of sonic differences from album to album, they've mixed it up again with their newest record, Basses Loaded. The record will feature several guest bass players, giving credence to the album title's pun.
A total of six bassists laid down tracks on Basses Loaded, including (in order of appearance) Steve McDonald (current Melvins live bassist), Jared Warren (Melvins, Big Business), Melvins drummer Dale Crover who is reprising his 1983 role with the group, JD Pinkus (Butthole Surfers), Trevor Dunn (Melvins Lite, Fantomas) and Krist Novoselic (Nirvana).
Whew! Rounding out the other side of the album title, the closing track is a cover of "Take Me Out to the Ballgame." As expected, the song pays homage to Crover and frontman Buzz Osborne's love for "America's pastime." The pair have been spotted at games in the past.
The new song "Hideous Woman" can be heard below courtesy of Rolling Stone. Identifiable as the Melvins largely due to Osborne's signature vocals, the song is a groove-rider and employs the more rock-oriented sound the band has been utilizing in recent years. It features Steve McDonald on bass.
Basses Loaded will be out June 3 on Ipecac Recordings.
The band will also be releasing a collaborative album, Three Men and a Baby, with Mike Kunka (GodheadSilo, Enemymine) on April 1 via Sub Pop. Prior to the release, they'll be heading out on a co-headlining tour with Napalm Death and will bring along Melt Banana as support. For a full list of dates, visit our 2016 Guide to Rock + Metal Tours.
Melvins, "Hideous Woman"
Melvins, Basses Loaded Track Listing
01. "The Decay of Lying" (Steve McDonald)
02. "Choco Plumbing" (Jared Warren)
03. "Beer Hippie" (Dale Crover, aka Melvins 1983 line-up)
04. "I Want to Tell You" (Steve McDonald)
05. "Captain Come Down" (JD Pinkus)
06. "Hideous Woman" (Steve McDonald)
07. "Shaving Cream" (Dale Crover, aka Melvins 1983 line-up)
08. "Planet Distructo" (Trevor Dunn, aka Melvins Lite line-up)
09. "War Pussy" (Steve McDonald)
10. "Maybe I Am Amused" (Krist Novoselic)
11. "Phyllis Dillard" (Dale Crover, aka Melvins 1983 line-up)
12. "Take Me Out to the Ballgame" (Dale Crover, aka Melvins 1983 line-up)
Buzz Osborne Plays 'Wikipedia: Fact or Fiction?'
See Where Melvins' Houdini Landed on the Top 90 Hard Rock + Metal Albums of the 1990s