Powerman 5000 Escape Scary Marietta, Georgia Hotel Fire
Typically the biggest danger for a touring band is the travel to and from a show, but Powerman 5000 found themselves in a scary situation at a Marietta, Ga. hotel Friday night (Nov. 21).
The band checked in to the Radisson Hotel ahead of their performance, but got a major surprise when frontman Spider One went to turn on the air conditioning and an electrical fire started. According to guitarist Nick Quijano, the band escaped the room unharmed and did their part in helping to alert the other people on their floor of the danger. Quijano issued a statement to Blabbermouth.net that can be read below:
I just wanted to let you know that we were all involved in a 10th-floor fire at the Radisson [hotel] in [Marietta], Georgia this evening around 6 p.m.
We checked into our rooms to relax before our show at 120 Tavern and Spider One went to turn off his air conditioner unit in his room when an electrical fire broke out within the unit, shooting large flames across the room and filling the entire 10th floor with smoke. To make matters worse, the alarm and sprinkler system in the hotel was defective and didn't go off to warn anyone in the hotel of the fire. We had to run down the hall and yell to all the other inhabitants to get them to clear the floor and get to safety.
Other than some smoke inhalation, we are all okay and will still be playing the show tonight at 120 Tavern and continuing our tour through the USA with American Head Charge.
We are left wondering what will happen next on this run, but we want to let everyone know that the tour is STILL RUNNING as planned and expect to see everyone out at the remaining shows through North Carolina, Tennessee and Texas.
As stated, Powerman 5000 are on the road in support of their 'Builders of the Future' album. You can see their tour dates here. And check above to see a local news report on the hotel fire.