Like you, I totally enjoy your typical leftover turkey and mayo sandwich. I thought these mile high dinner roll delights were the one and only way to savor all the remaining “other white meat.” Then I found this recipe for turkey tacos, and started making it a point to throw a Mexican fiesta, which has become just as much a tradition as Turkey Day itself. Sure, the ingredient list looks overwhelming, but fortunately, the preparation is quick and easy. You can probably whip out these delicious treats in less than half an hour.
What you’ll need:
• 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
• 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
• 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
• 1/8 teaspoon hot chili powder
• 1/8 teaspoon minced garlic
• 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
• 1 tablespoon sour cream
• 2 cups (about 12 ounces) cooked, coarsely chopped turkey breast
• 8 (6 inch) flour tortillas
• 1 cup drained and rinsed canned black beans
• 1/2 cup bottled or freshly made salsa
• 1 cup shredded iceberg lettuce
• 1/2 cup shredded four-cheese Mexican blend cheese
• 1/2 cup diced peeled avocado
1. Using a whisk, mix first seven ingredients (through sour cream) in a small bowl. Toss with turkey and set aside.
2. Heat the tortillas according to the package directions.
3. Spoon 1/4 cup of the turkey mixture onto each tortilla. Then, top each tortilla with 2 tablespoons drained and rinsed black beans, 1 tablespoon salsa, 2 tablespoons shredded iceberg lettuce, 1 tablespoon shredded cheese and 1 tablespoon diced peeled avocado.
4. Fold tortilla around taco mixture, and serve.
Gather your friends and family and serve this dish with your own Mexican-style sides for a yummy take on Thanksgiving leftovers. Gobble, gobble!