Take the ‘Groundhog Day’ Challenge at the Roxy in Missoula
I am a huge fan of the movie Groundhog Day. I am also a huge fan of movie marathons. And I'm a huge fan of The Roxy Theater in Missoula. However, this might be a step too far, even for me.
On February 2nd, The Roxy is holding an all-day-long Groundhog Day marathon, a nice little meta idea based on the plot of the movie, where Bill Murray experiences the same day over and over again. That means they'll be showing just one movie, Groundhog Day, seven times over the course of one day. And the theater is encouraging you to go to all of them.
I'll probably come by for just one of the screenings, because again, I do love Groundhog Day. And I'll probably make it later in the day just so I can see the people going nuts after having watched the same movie four or five times in the row.
Here's a rundown of what to expect from the marathon, what you'll win if you make it through all seven screenings, and the rules from the Roxy's website:
"Every Groundhog Day, The Roxy celebrates what just might be the best Groundhog Day film of all time, Groundhog Day. In fact, in honor of weatherman Phil Connors's inexplicable plight, we're showing it over and over and over and over again. Last year's marathon was an extraordinary success, with over 50 brave souls signing up, and with a special video message of encouragement from Ned Ryerson himself, Stephen Tobolowsky. This year we're raising the bar and demanding our marathoners endure SEVEN screenings, with 15-minute breaks in between each one. If you can make it through ALL of them you win a T-shirt specially designed for this year's marathon by our friend Jack Metcalf, as well as a special Groundhog Day Membership, which grants you free admission and free popcorn to any regular film screening at The Roxy for a year.
Buy a ticket to any screening for $8
Sign up for the marathon for $20
Sign up for the marathon + receive unlimited popcorn, fountain drinks, and coffee for $30
Sign up for the marathon + unlimited popcorn, etc + a sandwich lunch from Bernice's Bakery* for $40.
Showtimes start at:
This is always a fun-filled day, but there are a few rules to follow in order to complete the challenge. Being told by any Roxy employee that these rules have been violated will disqualify you from the competition.
1. NO SLEEPING. If you sleep, you're out. If you "rest your eyes" for a period of longer than 10 seconds, and we catch you doing it, you're out.
2. All marathon participants must sign in at the theater no later than 9:30. After 9:30 no one can enter the marathon, and if you're not here for the sign-in, you forfeit your participation.
3. You can leave the building between screenings, but do so at your own risk: if you aren't back before the next screening starts, you're out.
4. No bathroom breaks during the screening.
5. No looking at your phone, talking on your phone, or reading during the screenings. If you start to recite the film verbatim after a couple of screenings . . . well, we'll let your fellow patrons decide how they want to punish you.
6. By registering for this event your photo may be used in marketing and advertising of the Groundhog Day Marathon, including but not limited to Roxy social media, website, and any third party coverage.
Good luck, and remember:
When Chekhov saw the long winter, he saw a winter bleak and dark and bereft of hope. Yet we know that winter is just another step in the cycle of life. But sitting here among the people of Punxsutawney and basking in the warmth of their hearths and hearts, we couldn't imagine a better fate than a long and lustrous winter."